[HECnet] MMJ to DB9 serial adapter

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Oct 5 21:27:40 PDT 2013

On 10/05/2013 11:45 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
I have two VaxStation 3100's that I bought some time back but didn't
have time to mess with until now.

Unlike my DEC 3000, the serial console is an MMJ port and not a DB9
serial port.

Does anyone have an excess or spare MMJ to DB9 adaptor, or know where
I can purchase an inexpensive one?

First of all, you are talking about a DE9, not a DB9 (surprising how
many don't know the correct name of that connector).

  I educate whomever I can, but I have all but given up on the general
technical public understanding this.

Second, DEC often used a different pinout for a DE9 than IBM did, so you
might not be too happy with the adapter, depending on what you want in
the end.

  In this case, the DEC-machine-facing side is the MMJ.   (at least that
is my understanding)

I tired hooking up my multisync monitor I have hooked up to my DEC
3000, but I don't think the graphic card is set to a setting within
the monitor's range, as nothing shows up.

Do the DEC 3000 have a VGA port?

  It does not.