[HECnet] Slightly OT: DECTape support in SIMH VMS?

Thu Oct 3 16:24:31 PDT 2013

On Sep 29, 2013, at 9:18 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

On 2013-09-29 14:48, Sampsa Laine wrote:
I noticed that the SIMH PDP-11 distribution contains emulation of TC11/TU56 DECtape drives. My questions are:

	- How hard would these be to port to the VAX SIMH emulation?
	- Do modern VMS (e.g > 7.0) OSes support DECtapes?

I figure it would be a nice way to transfer files between a PDP-11 and VAX system for example..

VMS have never supported DECtape, as far as I know

Not officially.   But I know it was done as a "midnight project", by Andy Goldstein if I remember correctly.   That supposedly even included overlapped seek support, just as TOPS-10 did.

You might just turn it on and see if it works "out of the box".

I would assume the file structure used is the same as what RSX uses, whatever that is.

	paul