[HECnet] VT420 with a "worn out" display

Fri Oct 4 19:25:08 PDT 2013

On Oct 4, 2013, at 2:07 PM, Ian McLaughlin <ian at platinum.net> wrote:

On Oct 4, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

Yeah.   I know they're in the kV range. I'd appropriate discharge the CRT itself...but I lack the appropriate HV grounding wires.

A flat-blade screwdriver and an alligator clip lead.   Clip the lead to the shaft of the screwdriver and to the metal chassis of the monitor.   Work the flat blade under the rubber cup where the anode wire attaches to the CRT.   Be prepared for a loud POP and a flash.

Be careful where you place your fingers while doing this.

Don't do it like my father did: he allowed his finger to wander onto the shaft of the screwdriver.   Got seriously zapped, enough so that he jumped back 6 feet (from a squatting position).   Not a CRT -- an 800 volt high current supply, B+ for a transmitter.

He wasn't hurt, but that taught me to be very careful with that procedure.

	paul