[HECnet] VT420 with a "worn out" display

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Fri Oct 4 17:45:08 PDT 2013

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Cory Smelosky wrote:

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Sampsa Laine wrote:

sampsa	<sampsa at mac.com>
mobile +358 40 7208932
On 4 Oct 2013, at 18:31, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:
On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Guys,
Saku Setala donated a VT420 a while back but the screen is almost unreadable, unless you turn off all ambient light.
Is there any way to fix this?
Increase the current to the electron gun.
How does one go about doing that? I'm more of a software guy, not an EE...:)
sampsa

Well, if you're a software guy...go try and find a local retro TV/radio guy. They'll likely have the right skills and equipment to attempt to rejuvenate it.   You'd be messing with voltage in the kilovolt range here...so I don't recommend doing it yourself.

Still, it's only going to be temporary.   It might help it for a couple years, and it might last 20 minutes.   Your best bet is picking up a replacement CRT or a replacement terminal.

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff