[HECnet] VT-62?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Oct 2 22:59:12 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
Emacs builds on most everything, and is packaged for most (all?) Linux
distributions.

Dave -- might want to tighten comment that a little.   GNU-emacs builds on most anything with a 32 bit linear address space or greater.   Other emacs implementations YMMV.

Also, for smaller or non-linear address spaces, GNU emacs might have been ported, but it probably has not been and you are very likely to be SOL.

vi on the other hand was ported to just about everything I saw from the Z80 on forward (using the BTL z80 C compiler) - which is quite a testament to making cruft >>v6<< UNIX code from 1978 move before the days of ANSI C.

I remember hating it when I saw it -- "who wrote this piece of ... " but when I realized it was just ed I was enlightened and it made sense (which is scary I know).

I also saw the comment about SOS and smiled - that's an editor I have not seen in years.   It was my first PDP-10 editor (and for VAX #1) as we had ASR-33s not even VT-52s at that point.   I remember the joy for a couple of us when somebody got teco running on the Vax - darned if I can remember who that was.