[HECnet] VT-62?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Wed Oct 2 20:14:22 PDT 2013

EDT (DEC VMS editor)
Turn on EDT emulation with M-x edt-emulation-on; restore normal command bindings with M-x edt-emulation-off.
But what was interesting to me to watch over time the ex-VMS folks take one of three directions even with the having "Emacs-EDT" available:

1.) switch to a native emacs 'cause they found it more powerful than EDT (i.e. learn now emacs could be "bound" to UNIX and discovered they liked it).

2.) switch to vi because it ran on everything (from a PC to Cray and in between inc VAX/VMS) which in those days emacs did not [this is what I did and never looked back]

3.) a one guy refused it all and spent a couple of weeks writing a teco clone (which you can still download from his web site).     I used to think that was pretty close to the original for those us that learned teco on the PDP-10's years ago - but by that time, I was fully vi literate so why both going back.

Just tried that in Aquamacs (COCOA port of Emacs) and the feature is still included.

wooo, OS X EDT!

http://sampsa.com/emacsedt.png