[HECnet] VT-62?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Oct 2 20:10:31 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, Clem Cole wrote:

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

EDT is pure heaven.

Dave this comment made me laugh.

2.) switch to vi because it ran on everything (from a PC to Cray and in
between inc VAX/VMS) which in those days emacs did not [this is what I did
and never looked back]

Emacs has too high of a learning curve for me...with vi I prefer vim.

3.) a one guy refused it all and spent a couple of weeks writing a teco
clone (which you can still download from his web site).     I used to think
that was pretty close to the original for those us that learned teco on the
PDP-10's years ago - but by that time, I was fully vi literate so why both
going back.

I prefer EDT/PICO/NANO personally.   I'm aware the first 2 are unrelated.

In the end its all about choice and what makes you comfortable.   I'm jaded
enough to realize that all the editors from those times are similar and all
can do cool things when they ran on "glass ttys" - it's just what you
learned and have burned into the ROMs in your fingers AND how well the
editor is integrated into the native system.   I learned IBM/TSS on a ASR 33
with a line editor, I bet it you tossed that too me now I would scream.
  If I had a 10 again, I wonder what I would use, as I know at this stage,
I've forgotten teco.     For VMS I think these days I would just use vi and
be done with it.   There is something to be said for an editor that just
works.

I'd enjoy nano for the 10.

That said, the folks that wrote vim changed it just slightly from vi [they
"fixed it" of course] and when I try editing on a my Mac or a Linux box it
sometimes drives me nuts as I can not reprogram those fingers at my age.

Clem

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff