[HECnet] VMS ACLs and DECNET

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Thu Oct 3 18:41:51 PDT 2013

Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes:

Do VMS ACLs work over DECNET?

Let's say I'm on CHIMPY and want to edit the ACL of a file on GORVAX - =
will that work?

CHIMPY$ EDITT/ACL GORVAX::LOGIN.COM
%SYSTEM-E_INVFILFOROP, invalid file specification for operation.

ACLs are stored in the file header.   Identifiers are stored as their binary
equivalent from their definition in the local system's RIGHTSLIST.DAT file.
Therefore, without the same RIGHTSLIST.DAT file on the remote node, the ACL
information is meaningless and, since there's no way to enforce having the
same RIGHTSLIST.DAT information on the remote, remote ACLs is not supported.

$ DIRECTORY/SECURITY will display SOGR protections and ownershit UIC but it
will not display the rights identifier names even IF they exists within the
RIGHTSLIST.DAT of the local node.

HERE$ DIRECTORY/SECURITY THERE::LOGIN.COM

LOGIN.COM;1                   [1,4]                                                       (RWED,RWED,RE,RE)

THERE$ DIRECTORY/SECURITY LOGIN.COM

LOGIN.COM;1                   [HEGEMONY,SYSTEM]                               (RWED,RWED,RE,RE)

If there were ACLs on the LOGIN.COM, you would not see them in the remote
DIRECTORY listing.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG