[HECnet] Humour value alternative to DCL - a port OS/390 ISPF to VMS :)

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Mon Sep 30 22:13:13 PDT 2013

On 30 Sep 2013, at 22:41, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons <jg at jordi.guillaumes.name> wrote:

JCL is really easy once you begin to think "in JCL" instead than in DCL/whatever script language. The weirdest thing it has is the COND expression, which works the opposite it seems to have to work. Everything else is just syntax you can learn (or look at in a manual).

I'm not quite there yet :) Need to read a bit more of the JCL books I have I fear.

But yes, it's not strictly speaking a scripting language, more like a definition of how to run a payload (such as a COBOL compile+link), no?

In any case the syntax is WEIRD compared to DCL or bash, you have to admit..

sampsa