[HECnet] Humour value alternative to DCL - a port OS/390 ISPF to VMS :)

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Mon Sep 30 03:28:08 PDT 2013

Yeah. I probably don't have a great sense of humor. I'm more of the hack-in-the-kernel type of guy. That is what I find really enjoyable...

Make everything run and function smooth, tidy and efficient. I also have a very strict ordering and system to my records, my books and god knows what else... And I like straight angles when I draw on a paper. :-)

Thinking about this and like Brian said it doesn't necessarily have to entirely be a joke project, I could build a nice-ish menuing system for new users on CHIMPY who don't know VMS well (or at all)

And yes, I have checked out the myriad of existing menu systems out there, did not find any of them that great (half of them won't run on Alphas, bugs, insane config files etc).

But a nice menu for new users to get them started (edit files, compile/link/run source code, run dcl etc)? That might actually be useful..

I do get a lot of newbies on CHIMPY that log on once or twice, but VMS confuses them so they disappear after a while :)

sampsa