[HECnet] Connecting to HECnet from DEC Legacy 19-20 Oct

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Sep 30 02:06:40 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-30 01:52, Sampsa Laine wrote:

On 29 Sep 2013, at 23:15, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

THe OSI model is pretty much a load of BS.   3 layers can be condensed to about 1 and one of them just doesn't exist.

I never understood what the hell the session layer was for anyway - I figure anything above layer 3 (transport) should be handled by apps, not by 4 layers of network stack.

Well, transport is supposed to be layer 4, but anyway... The whole OSI model *is* BS. If I remember right back when they were creating it (by committee of course), the US delegates wanted 6 levels, and Europeans wanted 8, so they compromised on 7.

And of course, they didn't base it on anything working. It's a paper product that noone ever really implemented. DECnet Phase V is as close as anyone ever got, if I remember right. And phase V wasn't exactly a success. But it sure took time and resources to implement.