[HECnet] Connecting to HECnet from DEC Legacy 19-20 Oct

Dennis Boone drb at msu.edu
Mon Sep 23 03:41:34 PDT 2013

I would be using a USB 3G device to do this, so I wouldn't know my IP
until the day itself. Is there anyone with a bridge on HECnet who would
be available during UK daytime on those days to configure their bridge
to peer with me? There may be more than one change of IP address over
the course of the weekend though.

Honestly, the "easy" way to do this is to set up a VPN such that your
event site LAN is more or less bridged to someone's existing LAN that
contains DECNET hosts.   This solves the problems that are toughest:
moving IP assignment, address translation, port translation, etc.   Since
the VPN typically uses public key stuff for auth, you don't need to
fiddle with ip address restrictions, the client connects to the uplink
point when things change, etc.   Eliminates config changes in bridges,
multinet stubbornness about a single predefined port number for both
ends, various stupid injected by devices that barely understand TCP
ports other than 80, much less non-IP protocols, etc.   One of the Area
18 sites is "permanently" connected this way.   I can probably contribute
config hints if the router/firewall/vpn technology is a linux box.

De