[HECnet] Non ASCII fonts on VMS?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Sun Sep 29 12:55:28 PDT 2013

On 28 Sep 2013, at 20:47, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

On 28 Sep 2013, at 11:39, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se

On 2013-09-28 11:33, Sampsa Laine wrote:
If I type the document locally and upload it via Kermit, it sort of
works.

Unfortunately it doesn't keep the ligatures which makes it more or
less useless for Arabic :)

How do you verify that it "works"? What does the document look like on
the Mac? I mean, if you really look at all the bytes. What did you use
to create it?

The letters are all there, but they're not correctly connected
(ligatures) - again, probably a Terminal.app problem, VMS is storing
them just fine.

That could be a question of fixed font width. Would they look ok if you types the same file in Terminal.app but running locally on the Mac?

When 'cat'd on the Mac, it looks the same as it does on the VMS system.

The text editor I used uses a fixed width font and draws the ligatures correctly (I suppose they make the horizontal base line shorter/longer as necessary).

In this case, until I get Terminal (it's broken in iTerm too, BTW) to display the ligatures correctly, I won't even worry about using the files on VMS.*

As for Hebrew, I know the alphabet but don't know more than a dozen words of the language. So technically possible I suppose but not very useful :)

If I remember correctly, the is a DW MOTIF for HEBREW license in the hobbyist PAK, wonder what that did? Right to left writing?

* Microsoft Word on Mac didn't unbreak the ligatures until about 2008. Never heard so much Arabic swearing as when somebody on a Mac gets sent an important but impossible to read document in MS DOC format :)