[HECnet] Non ASCII fonts on VMS?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Sep 28 21:06:07 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-28 13:07, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes:

I am playing around with iTerm as well at the moment though.

What do you use as a terminal client on OS X?

Pros and cons of the various terminal emulations can be debated ad
nauseum
and ad infinitum.

I have iTerm and iTerm2, and Terminal.app on OS X.   Both of the
iTerm pass
the preliminary VTTEST suites but they both fail miserably when
asked to do
the DECSWL and DECDHL tests.   Terminal.app renders both DECSWL and
DECDHL
rather well.

Neither of them will do DECELR and DECSLE.   However, in their
defense, none
of the unix/linux default xterm appear to do them either.   I've
built xterm
from source and there are switches which will enable these.   I've
not found
the ideal combination yet of all of the build switches to make
xterm do all
of the things I can now accomplish with a real VT terminal or
DECterminal.

vttest is worse at testing than I thought if it don't pick up that
Terminal.app do not even clear the screen when changing to 80 column
mode (it should clear the screen, even if you are already in 80 column
mode).

VTTEST does not detect anything!   It merely exercises the terminal
or the
terminal application sets of escape sequences.   It's up to the user
that's
viewing the results to make the determination.   The best way to
accomplish
this is to use VTTEST on a real VT terminal, become familiar with
displayed
results ont the real VT terminal and then, run it against the
terminal or
terminal emulation purporting to be VT-compatible.

A valid point. Even so, Terminal.app do not work correctly in the face
of the function for setting the terminal width (I don't even recall the
name of the escape sequence right now, DECCOLM possibly).
I hope VTTEST have a test for this, because that should make it obvious
to anyone watching.

Yes, it's DECCOLM and there is a test for this.   In fact, there are
several
tests which expect DECCOLM to function properly in order for the
output of
the test to be displayed properly.

I just realized I read a previous line of yours too quickly. I read
"Both of the iTerm pass the preliminary VTTEST suites..." as "Both iTerm
and Terminal.app pass...", which I couldn't get to fit with the fact
that Terminal.app fail on DECCOLM.

Oh well. My fault.

Doh! Just checked iterm2, and it also fails on DECCOLM...