[HECnet] Non ASCII fonts on VMS?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Sat Sep 28 20:16:07 PDT 2013

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

On 2013-09-28 13:07, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes:

I am playing around with iTerm as well at the moment though.

What do you use as a terminal client on OS X?

Pros and cons of the various terminal emulations can be debated ad nauseum
and ad infinitum.

I have iTerm and iTerm2, and Terminal.app on OS X.   Both of the iTerm pass
the preliminary VTTEST suites but they both fail miserably when asked to do
the DECSWL and DECDHL tests.   Terminal.app renders both DECSWL and DECDHL
rather well.

Neither of them will do DECELR and DECSLE.   However, in their defense, none
of the unix/linux default xterm appear to do them either.   I've built xterm
from source and there are switches which will enable these.   I've not found
the ideal combination yet of all of the build switches to make xterm do all
of the things I can now accomplish with a real VT terminal or DECterminal.

vttest is worse at testing than I thought if it don't pick up that
Terminal.app do not even clear the screen when changing to 80 column
mode (it should clear the screen, even if you are already in 80 column
mode).

VTTEST does not detect anything!   It merely exercises the terminal or the
terminal application sets of escape sequences.   It's up to the user that's
viewing the results to make the determination.   The best way to accomplish
this is to use VTTEST on a real VT terminal, become familiar with displayed
results ont the real VT terminal and then, run it against the terminal or
terminal emulation purporting to be VT-compatible.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG