[HECnet] Non ASCII fonts on VMS?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Sat Sep 28 11:51:50 PDT 2013

Basically the end result is the same whether I do a 'cat salam.txt' locally or 'type salam.txt' on the VMS host. The correct letters display, they're just not joined together like they should be.

It's a bug in Terminal, it doesn't handle ligatures for Arabic (which are rather trick, but then again they are built into OS X, so it's odd)..

And I think Johnny's right, they are UTF-8 encoded, here's what the text looks like in binary:

00000000     D8 B3 D9 84   D9 85 20 D8   B9 D9 84 D9   8A D9 83 D9   85                     ...... ..........