[HECnet] Non ASCII fonts on VMS?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Sep 28 10:36:44 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-28 11:30, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Yeah I was thinking of typing up some Arabic documents in say EDIT and using TYPE to view them - but Terminal.app doesn't seem to pass the Arabic letters across correctly.

I think you are a little confused.
"Arabic letters" as such don't pass through anywhere. We're talking computers here. Everything is ones and zeroes.
It's just a case of how you choose to interpret those ones and zeroes at each end. Are you saying that Terminal.app (a program I avoid by the way, since the VT100 emulation is buggy) do not pass all values? How are you using it, by the way?
Selected some arabic language on your MAC, running the terminal, typing in there, and in the terminal you have telnetted to some VMS box.

That might end up with the terminal sending UTF-8 encoded Unicode, which VMS might have some opinions about. VMS do not handle UTF-8, and some of the values you get from the UTF-8 encoding might cause VMS to do specific things.

The MAC will think of several bytes as one character encoded in UTF-8, but VMS will think of that as several characters in Latin-1, unless you are running some special program in VMS which grabs all incoming data, in which case you can (or course) do anything you want.

	Johnny

sampsa	<sampsa at mac.com>
mobile +358 40 7208932