[HECnet] Alpha Server 1200 p/s schematics

H Vlems hvlems at zonnet.nl
Sun Sep 29 09:07:41 PDT 2013

The Netherlands tends to follow German standards, so DIN and T  V classifications are rather familiar to us.   We do have KEMA standards though (Keuring Electrische Matarialen Arnhem). These guys are pretty thorough,   they are often more demanding than what the Germans throw at electrical products.

Van: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] Namens Clem Cole   Verzonden: zondag, september 2013 2:14   Aan: hecnet at Update.UU.SE   CC: hecnet at Update.UU.SE   Onderwerp: Re: [HECnet] Alpha Server 1200 p/s schematics

a little more detail.    the x means it uses Class X flame retardant dialectic    -- in Germany for sure and probably most the eu, class X dialectic is required if you add filtering.

any filter cap that goes between the mains and neutral had be made of class X (or class Y if my memory serves me) material or you can't getter German equiv of the us UL for the device [google this if you want to understand more].

that said, the other thing you will see across mains for safety is a semi-conductor called an MOV (metal oxides varister). it has two pins and looks like a cap often orange red or blue and very glossy material but I would not bet on the color.

if the designers of the ps assumed an MOV i'd make sure you replace with that not a filter cap.