[HECnet] Hooking up TOPS-20 to HECnet?

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Sep 23 08:10:43 PDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 11:52:15PM -0400, Gregg Levine wrote:
Hello!
Interesting. And I wonder why.

There's a scene in the book "Cuckoo's Egg" where the fink having
broken into the US sponsored network again landing in UCB finds
himself 3000 miles away and in Cambridge and trying to figure out a
TOPS-20 running system. I can't recall what specie of system it was
that was still there then, but when Cliff contacted the school to
report it, the individual told him not to worry about it, there wasn't
much on it, and it was (GASP!) going to be thrown away in a few
months.

It might have been an ordinary PDP-10 as it happens.

The fink was easily confounded by BSD, and knew enough VMS to confuse
even Cliff, but the way the TOPS-20 system worked completely baffled
him.

I certainly hope the system went to a good home.....

I just red that book and remember the scene very well :) I also gasp:ed
when I read it was going to be thrown away. I recall that it was a KA10,
but did KA10's run TOPS-20? I don't think so. I'll have to open the book
and check tonight.

Great book!

/P