[HECnet] Hooking up TOPS-20 to HECnet?

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 04:52:15 PDT 2013

Hello!
Interesting. And I wonder why.

There's a scene in the book "Cuckoo's Egg" where the fink having
broken into the US sponsored network again landing in UCB finds
himself 3000 miles away and in Cambridge and trying to figure out a
TOPS-20 running system. I can't recall what specie of system it was
that was still there then, but when Cliff contacted the school to
report it, the individual told him not to worry about it, there wasn't
much on it, and it was (GASP!) going to be thrown away in a few
months.

It might have been an ordinary PDP-10 as it happens.

The fink was easily confounded by BSD, and knew enough VMS to confuse
even Cliff, but the way the TOPS-20 system worked completely baffled
him.

I certainly hope the system went to a good home.....
------
Interestingly enough one of the people on the SIMH list who I know
well enough told me that when he got started in computers most of the
sites mentioned in the book were still available.
-----
And Dave? That's not your fault. But leaving enough active and running
systems available for a family of Yeti is. They've been throwing all
sorts of things at China for the past three days. Cory as well.
They've already worn out your primary router and worse......

Your cats let them in, especially when they saw that they brought
friends, a family of snow leopards.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com