[HECnet] Hooking up DECUSERVE / EISNER to HECnet?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Thu Sep 26 15:24:24 PDT 2013

Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

On 2013-09-26 16:14, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

On 2013-09-26 14:16, Sampsa Laine wrote:

While I did have an account on Deathrow, I was not all that familiar with
the users thereof.

The encourage security research, it attracts a certain type of person that I don't want on my LAN (trust me, I used to be a penetration tester :) )

The problem is that if you want to be paranoid, then you should not be
connected to HECnet at all.

DECnet is a very bad protocol when it comes to network security.

It's not any worse than TCP/IP.

You might right about that. The issue is possibly more about the
applications that runs on top of it. It's at the same level as telnet
and ftp, which are pretty much frowned upon nowadays. (I like those
protocols, but I can see the issues with passwords in clear text, for
example.)

But I wonder about a bunch of things like the equivalent of SYN attacks
in DECnet for example... But actually, that is not so much about the
protocols as the implementations.

Well, if you really want to secure your computers, you need to remove the
cabling that networks them with the electric power company! :)

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG