[HECnet] Can't connect to MIM nodedb

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Sep 28 02:44:11 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-27 22:19, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 09/27/2013 04:06 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
        Ahh ok.   Well, if I run the 11/24, I obviously won't be running
that
stack. :)   I may run an 11/44 instead.

Running M+ on an 11/23 or 11/24 (the only systems without I/D space that
M+ supports) is perhaps not the most wonderful experience anyway. Since
you don't have split I/D-space on those systems, system pool becomes
really scarce. And that is not fun.

An 11/44 is so much better.

      Yeah I suppose so.

      I've never run Plus on anything.   I've run plain M on lots of stuff
though; it's fine on an 11/23.   I guess Plus is a lot heavier for all of
its additional functionality.

Depends on what you mean by "heavier". The performance is mostly better,
the capabilities are much greater, and it's much more user friendly and
fun. But it takes loads of more memory for all of this.

    Actually better performance, even with all those neat features?   Wow,
that's surprising and nice to hear...Very nice!   I really need to do
something with Plus.

M+ have much more pool space. You have disk caching. Preallocated I/O packets. Disk I/O optimization. The capability for multiple paths to disks. Memory handling is different, and you normally don't have many memory partitions which you need to try to optimize space wise. You have split I/D space and supervisor mode, which lots of programs use, resulting in much less overlaying for many tasks...