[HECnet] Public access?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Wed Sep 25 01:54:07 PDT 2013

I'm always happy to take more users onto CHIMPY and the HILANT clusters - you think I should let people in comp.os.vms know about these?

Does anybody mind 'outsiders' getting access to HECnet?

I don't mind. Most will probably not explore the fact that there is a big DECnet behind the machines.
It is not that we are preventing people today either. It's just that there have never been much fuss about HECnet.

However, I can understand if some people feel worried about traffic and issues. If so, let us know, and we'll try to think of what to do.

This is why I manually vet the account requests - if the email address or name seem totally bullshit, I just ignore the request.

I get maybe 2-3 new users per week on each system..I personally don't want to let the Deathrow guys behind my firewall :)

sampsa