[HECnet] Public access?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Tue Sep 24 21:05:21 PDT 2013

On 24 Sep 2013, at 22:01, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

On 2013-09-24 19:50, Dennis Boone wrote:
OK, simple HTML table with:

- System name
- Type
- Services offered
- Guest account?
- Registrable accounts?
- Telnet link

We put that up on a website somewhere.

I'd think the way to do this would be for everyone to document their
public services in an extension (.BEGIN-PUBLIC-SERVICES?) to the
existing INFO.TXT file.   Then have CHIMPY or somebody harvest those and
post the results on a web page.

Yuck. While I won't prevent someone from doing this, regularly scraping that file, hoping for a standardized, usable format, seems optimistic and heavy. :-)

It won't be that bad - 1 line of CSV between two tags at the bottom of INFO.TXT. Anything that parses right goes into the HTML, HTML gets uploaded to wherever.

Update once a month.

E.g.

.BEGIN-PUBLIC-SERVICES
CHIMPY|AlphaServer DS10|VMS accounts, launch pad to other systems|No|Yes|telnet://chimpy.sampsa.com
.END-PUBLIC-SERVICES