[HECnet] What happens when the host uses a dynamically assigned IP address?

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 22:25:51 PDT 2013

Hello!
According to the ISP it will change only when the hardware used to
connect to the Internet gets restarted. So far that last happened
several weeks earlier.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

On 2013-09-25 17:04, Gregg Levine wrote:

Hello!
Still thinking about working on how to bring up a system that's
eligible for participation within our group. The only stumbling block
isn't the OS or the emulated system. In fact it happens to be the fact
that my Internet connection is managed via a DSL device who is
assigned an IP address via PPPoE services. Does any of our members
also have that problem? I actually asked the service provider what was
involved with ordering service for a static one several years earlier.

Problem then, was that the copper was too old in my part of the country.

I imagine that FIOS (Fiber-optic based service from the phone company)
is the reason why the copper isn't be upgraded.

And since my cable company can be all thumbs when performing service I
turned down their offers......

Several people (including me) do not have a fixed address. However, my ISP
seems to change my IP less than once a year, so it's not really a big
problem.

So I think it more depends on how often do you see address changes?