[HECnet] Worth getting a "VMS" keyboard?

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 16:29:45 PDT 2013

On 17/09/2013 15:28, Sampsa Laine wrote:
I forgot to clarify -   I'm thinking about getting a old MAC keyboard which has loads of extra buttons that I'm sure the OS will pass through..

Cherry don't make the AB552A kit any more, it was discontinued around 2 years ago. I have one of these, and as far as Cherry keyboards go, and as pointed out previously, it is pretty disappointing - very stiff keys but mushy at the same time. They took the existing tooling that Compaq/HP used previously. Not an inspiring keyboard.

As far as using one with an emulator, I can do that under Linux by remapping keys and all but one (I forget which, PF4 I think) works OK.

If you are rolling your own terminal app to connect with SIMH you have carte blanche I would imagine as long as the underlying operating system driver recognises the extra keys. In the case of the AB552A and Windows, for example, some of the keys simply don't generate a keycode that is propogated through to the application layer, so you're pretty much screwed attempting to get it working.

Also note that for the PS/2 variants of the keyboard such as the LK41R the extra keys use a special mode (Mode or Layer 3) of the PS/2 protocol which isn't supported in many mainstream operating systems.

Yes, I have been struggling for years with my urge to keep using OpenVMS layout keyboards. The best solution I've found is to use old-style LK201/LK411 keyboards (with the RJ11-ish plug) via a physical adapter which powers the keyboard via a 12V psu and allows connection via an RS/232 cable to a linux PC. There is a kernel mode keyboard driver which can successfully scan the entire keyboard and allows for a certain level of customisation if you're prepared to re-compile kernel modules.

There is some brief info here on this particular solution: http://www.wickensonline.co.uk/vaxen/linuxLK.html
I've not done this in a while so as with all things Linux it'll be worth checking the support is still in there.

Talking of keyboards, there a number of standard PC layout DIGITAL keyboards listed on eBay UK with a PS/2 connector which are going for around   10 each. I'm using one now and although they are a standard membrane technology they have quite a nice feel.

Regards, Mark.