[HECnet] Slightly OT - USB serial controllers that work in Linux?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 11:52:26 PDT 2013

If you can stand not having advanced handshaking it's very easy to tack a native serial port onto the GPIO connection. It's a better solution IMHO.

You will need a TTL to RS232 level shifter and some link wires. Be aware some RS232 level shifters with ports are ALREADY crossed over (mine is) so mak sure you're clear on it.

While USB to RS232 adapters are largely fine I've had some nasty quirks using them with SimH.

Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> wrote:
So I'm toying with the idea of putting a Raspberry Pi + LCD screen + keyboard into an old Intertec (?) SuperBrain case, for use as a beefed up terminal (basically have it boot Linux, run SIMH and load VMS or something).

Any of you guys got a recommendation as to what USB-serial adapter works best in Linux?

sampsa <sampsa at mac.com>
mobile +358 40 7208932

--
Mark Benson