[HECnet] multinet vs ucx

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Sun Sep 1 11:45:46 PDT 2013

Daniel Soderstrom <snaggs at mac.com> writes:

Greetings,

Im having some issues configuring my VAX 4000/90. Im lucky that the machines=
I got didnt get wiped and came with vms 6.2 installed and licenced, as well=
as a multinet and the net-app-sup-250 set.

When I type in commands like finger, it says;

MULTINET:FINGER
Image file MULTINET:[SYSEXE]FINGER.EXE;
Error in device name or inappropriate device type for operation

Likewise if I type MULTINET CHECK

I cant even get IP up yet. I noticed that many of the user ID's were on DKA2=
00, so i may be missing a disk. Any ideas of where to start?

If I play with ucx will i break multinet if its been installed?

NO.   They're two complete and separate TCP/IP stack installations.

You'll need to look for the Multinet installation directory and also through
your system startup (SYS$STARTUP: and SYS$STARTUP:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM) files
to see if you are, indeed, starting Multinet.   If UCX (TCPIP Services) has
been configured to startup, you'll need to make a decision as to which one
you want because you can only have one TCPIP stack.

Assuming that your PAKs are valid for these two products, your issue would
probably be one of just starting one over the other.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG