[HECnet] Looking for systems to test against...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Apr 23 20:47:00 PDT 2014

On 2014-04-23 21:31, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On Apr 23, 2014, at 3:16 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

Indeed, the quota was the problem. Works now. Excellent! Cool.
However, RSTS/E did not present the kind of attributes on text files
that I would have thought.

Native RSTS files don   t *have* attributes, no more than Unix files
do.   FAL supplies something if you don   t specifically ask for a
transfer mode, and that something is probably a safe but unhelpful
default like undefined records, 512 block size.

Right. I just sortof expected DAP to say that they were stream files, or
something like that.
But on the other hand, that could possibly be messy if the file actually
was some binary thing, so maybe unknown makes more sense after all.

If you ask for text mode, FAL will handle that, and supply something
more helpful.   Either stream_crlf, or it will convert to a more
popular RMS format, I don   t remember.

It obviously do work right if you ask for ASCII. I wonder which end do
the conversion in that case. Is the sending side aware that the file
should be sent as some kind of ASCII text file?

RSX and VMS don   t have this because all files are RMS files.

Well, technically, in RSX you can have either an RMS-11 DAP, or an
FCS-11 DAP. But since RMS is pretty much a superset of FCS it's more of
a technicality than a real point. :-)

And I should probably correct myself. When I write DAP, I meant FAL.
Unless I'm confused DAP is the protocol, while FAL is the object/task/program that implements DAP on the listener side.