[HECnet] No VCF for me, but...

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Sat Apr 5 08:49:51 PDT 2014

Hi Dave,

Congratulations!

It must be a great feeling to get a real VAX 11/780. They are extremely rare. A real gem!
I wish you all the best with saving a real piece of computing history!

Somehow I can understand your feelings as I had a similar experience recently.
It's a long story, but eventually the VAX arrived at my place.
I'm now working on restoring it. I haven't dared to try to switch it on yet, because what I was told it had been more than ten years in a warehouse untouched. The capacitors in the power supplies has for sure dried up and need replacement.
Because the VAX is such an exceptional item I really don't want to take any risks with it and not rush with it. Better to be careful.

It would be very interesting to share experiences with you, if you don't mind.

Kari