OS X (lack of) tape support, was Re: [HECnet] tape image manipulations...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Feb 16 17:46:17 PST 2014

On 02/16/2014 08:33 AM, Clem Cole wrote:
As for the OSX lack of mtio.h - i've just pulled it from FreeBSD and
never had an issue - obviously there is not driver. I 100% agree -- it
does seems nuts and I've b*tched at my friends at Apple about it a few
times.     Another thing I have on my todo list is try to slide the
drivers back into an hackintosh i had running on a vm in a system that
has an old DEC/Adaptec PCI card in it that I still use for SCSI tapes.
That said, when I have needed the tape I've just used the BSD driver on
the base system.

  Apple suddenly and arbitrarily removed the tape drivers from OS X
years ago.   That was one reason why I dumped OS X.   They unilaterally
decided that I didn't need tape support, and I don't like being told how
to conduct my business.