[HECnet] My VAX lost its mind!

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Feb 5 00:00:17 PST 2014

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014, Google wrote:

On 5 Feb 2014, at 05:26, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

So, my VAXstation 4000/60 shut off and I had difficulty getting it to turn back on.   Seems like a not-to-abnormal situation, right?   PSU's getting old or overheating protection kicked in?   That's not the weird part!

It may have overheated, I do know power switches can get flakey in VS4000s but the symptoms tend to be it won't turn OFF not on't turn ON but I guess if the switch is not contacting correctly it could be that too. the switch isn't, as far as I can tell, directly controlling the current, it is in some kind of latch circuit that unlatches when you flick it to 'OFF'. I think it's an early 'soft-power' implementation.

I moved the UPS further away.   Very possible it got bumped and got too close to the UPS.

Full explanation:
http://dectec.info/vaxstation-4000-power-switch-issues-and-cleaning/

Thanks!

Also talk to Mark Wickens, he's had a few issues with 4000/90 PSUs.

When I rebooted the system...it had decided it was suddenly /2015/ and all the licenses expired.   I've heard of systems resetting to the past when something happens...but NEVER the future!

That is odd, but Mark W remarked on my blog about one PSU failing and spiking his 4000/90 so badly it fried several parts, it's possible it could have upskittled the TOY clock?

Fans would click for a second and then kick right back off.   It stopped doing that until I removed all the drives.   Plugged 'em back in after opening the PSU to look for obvious faults and found none.   Everything is working fine now...Strange.

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff