[HECnet] TOPS-20 outgoing mail relay config

Mark Abene phiber at phiber.com
Tue Feb 4 01:13:07 PST 2014

I was able to get outgoing mail working without TOPS-20 being the
wiser.   I'm now running "redir" on my local emulator host (linux) to
listen on port 25 and send all connections to my external mail server
(a site out on the Internet) on port 2525 (I set postfix to listen on
port 2525 in master.cf, in addition to the default).   Then, on my
local firewall, I'm using iptables to send ALL outgoing connections to
any host at port 25 as a PREROUTING NAT rule to be diverted to my
emulator host's port 25, to hit the "redir" process.   In this way
TOPS-20 can send mail to any valid e-mail address and have it
transparently diverted to my external mail server's port 2525, where,
subject to postfix's approval, it will deliver the mail.   It just took
some ingenuity to work around Comcast's silliness.

-Mark