[HECnet] Which is THE dec printer?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jan 15 11:02:35 PST 2014

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

<Paul_Koning at Dell.com> writes:

On Jan 15, 2014, at 1:26 PM, Gregg Levine <gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello!
Oddly enough the phone company besides having a good interest in
things DEC related, also made stuff in Dayton.......
=20
Which model was considered to be a DECwriter? I seem to recall seeing
one once, and also recall the discussions concerning the thing in a
certain novel........ (Or other book)

The first device called DECwriter was the LA30, an amazing piece of junk kn=
own to jam every few pages.   It also came with a really bad keyboard.   Was =
it uppercase only?   I don=92t remember anymore.   It needed fill after the c=
arriage return or it would lose characters (and jam even more often, too). =
We had one in college for a short while.

Next came the LA36, which was something entirely different.   Rock solid, an=
d it didn=92t need fill after carriage return.   Upper and lower case, of co=
urse.

The LA120, if I remember right, was the first DEC printing terminal to do b=
idirectional printing.   It used the T-11 as its microcontroller to make tha=
t level of sophistication possible.

NOT!   It's an 8080!

Its PSU also hates me.

--