[HECnet] Which is THE dec printer?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 16 11:34:38 PST 2014

On 01/16/2014 04:38 AM, Daniel Soderstrom wrote:
I'd love a daisy wheel! Are there any which will hook up to   a vax
4000? Though I remember collecting my printouts from the sysop in 1st
year 1991 and you could hear the line printers grinding away. Need
230 (ish) volts too.

  Many (most?) daisy-wheel printers will easily interface to VAXen of
most any model.   Most have serial interfaces.

  I've never seen nor heard of one that *requires* 230V, BTW.

Basically size doesnt matter, as I will have to pay for a pallet,
regardless of whats on it.

  There were once so many DEC LQP02 daisy-wheel printers floating around
that people were dumpstering them by the dozen.   I personally gave away
about fifteen of them.   They were great printers, but laser printers
really killed the daisy-wheel market.   The LQP02 is a re-badged Juki
6100, which is an excellent design.

  I have a Tandy-branded daisy-wheel printer that I'd give you, but I'm
none too keen on packing and shipping it.