[HECnet] Which is THE dec printer?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Thu Jan 16 05:27:53 PST 2014

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 01/15/2014 07:20 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Heh! The DZ-11 is a hog. We all know that.
But the LP11 is not really much better. It's also interrupt per
character unless I remember wrong. But it's only one printer per card,
and no input. And of course, much faster, since it's parallel with
handshaking.

The Unibus controller I used at work, and later at home, with an LA180
was an LS11.   I don't remember if it was interrupt-per-character as
well, but since it was fairly non-dense TTL logic, I'd assume it was.

It fared very well on my 11/34 running (at the time) RSX.   In the
mid-1980s, I was the first person to turn in high-school homework on
printer paper.   Even some of the teachers were asking what kind of
"typewriter" made such "strange-looking print". ;)

You've reminded me of how I was the only person a teacher knew
who did a science project narrated by Microsoft Sam.

DECtalk, Stephen Hawkings' voice, would have been much cooler!

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG