[HECnet] Which is THE dec printer?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 15 15:51:05 PST 2014

On 01/15/2014 06:41 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I'll gladly take a 6800. ;)

I can make COMPLETE use of 24 processors!   As it'll take a IV...that's
dual-core right?   Meaning...48 cores!

  Even the processors that are in them have GREAT BIG CLANGING BALLS.   I
just have no use for them here.   If you want one, you can have one.   I
will deliver it to your driveway, but you must bear the expense.   That
will primarily consist of truck rental fees and fuel.   I could probably
get one to you for about $250.

  Note that these are larger-than-normal racks, and they're very
difficult to move.   They weigh about 1200lbs.   I've moved a pair of
these machines by myself without proper equipment, and thus at great
personal risk, to my old place a few years ago.   I did so out of
necessity.   The story (with pics) is here:

  http://www.neurotica.com/wiki/Sun_Fire_6800_Unload

  DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.   I could very easily have gotten killed in
that operation.   "Regular" racks are one thing...these weigh well over
half a ton, and are a different matter entirely.