[HECnet] Which is THE dec printer?

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 15:00:16 PST 2014

On 15/01/2014 22:35, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 01/15/2014 04:28 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
They are line printers. Which means they are large, heavy, fast, and
very noisy. I have not seen any in the last 20 years now. I remember
when we dragged an LP14 out of the computer room. Two people with
shoulder straps, and we barely managed to lift it an inch off the floor
while dragging it out.

I really like the line printers, but they are not for home use... But
they work fine on a PDP-11 as well. You just need an LP11 card in the
machine. (Or LPV11 if you're a Qbus person.)

I have an LP26, an LP27, two LXY21s, and a Genicom (forgot what model,
but as I understand it it's still a current model) line printer here.
Great stuff.

I see no reason why these would "not be for home use". ;)

They're fine for /our/ homes...but not perhaps for everyone. ;)

                            -Dave

I searched for DEC LP27 printer and came across this treasure chest: http://www1.appstate.edu/~jmm/operations.tour.html
Not sure it'll be the same since the last update in 1994!

Mark.

--
    http://www.wickensonline.co.uk
    http://hecnet.eu