[HECnet] Which is THE dec printer?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jan 15 13:13:09 PST 2014

On 2014-01-15 10:20, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 01/15/2014 09:58 AM, Daniel Soderstrom wrote:
The chances of a printer turning up in Perth, WA are zip. If I had to
pay money for one "desert island" DEC printer. What would it be?

I'm not sure it'd be fair to designate one printer out of so many
different models, with such different capabilities.

My opinion, though...If you're talking about an output-only device,
assuming for the minicomputer family, my personal favorite is the LA180.
It has its faults (unidirectional printing comes to mind) but overall
it's a great printer.   My opinion of it is not objective because I had
one for years on my first PDP-11.
No receive-only LA120?! ;)
(Is that was the LA180 is?   I can't remember what the models number for
the receive-only LA120 was.)   I like my printers big. ;)

So you should really aim for the LP26 or LP27 then... You need to be at least two people to even lift it off the ground.

Perfect! ;)

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects