[HECnet] Which is THE dec printer?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jan 15 10:20:24 PST 2014

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 01/15/2014 09:58 AM, Daniel Soderstrom wrote:
The chances of a printer turning up in Perth, WA are zip. If I had to
pay money for one "desert island" DEC printer. What would it be?

I'm not sure it'd be fair to designate one printer out of so many
different models, with such different capabilities.

My opinion, though...If you're talking about an output-only device,
assuming for the minicomputer family, my personal favorite is the LA180.
It has its faults (unidirectional printing comes to mind) but overall
it's a great printer.   My opinion of it is not objective because I had
one for years on my first PDP-11.

No receive-only LA120?! ;)

(Is that was the LA180 is?   I can't remember what the models number for the receive-only LA120 was.)   I like my printers big. ;)

For the "canonical" printing terminal, however, either the LA36 or
LA120 would be the most recognizable.   They were to be found in nearly
every installation.

Hell, my grandpa who worked at the Ma Bell Columbus works recognises LA120-like stuff.   He probably even recognises the LA120 itself.

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects