[HECnet] Latest version of VWS

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Wed Jun 11 02:12:30 PDT 2014

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

8192.   Looks like SET FILE/ATTRIB=LRL:8192 EWS012.A allowed BACKUP/LIST
EWS012.A/SAVE to succeed.

VMS DUMP the first block.   You should see the BACKUP command in the ASCII
translation.   If there's a /BLOCK listed, use that value; otherwise, there
are defaults as you have discovered.

Didn't even need to DUMP it.   VMSINSTAL didn't complain.

Don't feel bad, I've been dealing with this for 20 years when trying to get
VMS crash dump files from customers sent to me in tact via the internet. ;)

I'm impressed I figured out that LRL was the value I wanted. ;)

Luck. ;)

Yup. ;)

Next battle: anything graphical logs this:

%%%%%%%%%%%   OPCOM   10-JUN-2014 19:25:19.33   %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user AUDIT$SERVER on MOIRA
Security alarm (SECURITY) and security audit (SECURITY) on MOIRA, system
id: 9217
Auditable event:                   Detached process login failure
Event time:                             10-JUN-2014 19:25:19.32
PID:                                           20200149
Process name:                         _WSA3:
Username:                                 SYSTEM
Process owner:                       [SYSTEM]
Image name:                             MOIRA$DKA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.][SYSEXE]LOGINOUT.EXE

Which makes no sense.

$ SET MESSAGE SYS$MESSAGE:DECW$XLIBMSG.EXE
$ EXIT %X02DB8204
%XLIB-F-CANTOPEN, cannot open display

Do you, indeed, have the DECWindows server started?
Is there a Gxx0: device?   Configured?   Channels assigned?

Try setting SYSGEN parameter STARTUP_P2 to "VDC" in a conversational boot
and then continue.   You will find a STARTUP.LOG file in SYS$SYSTEM which
might hold some clues. ;)

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG