[HECnet] Emulated XQ polling timer setting and data overrun

Jean-Yves Bernier bernier at pescadoo.net
Thu Jun 5 01:38:18 PDT 2014

At 4:59 PM -0700 4/6/14, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm wrote:

Did you change the number of receive buffers?

That does not seem possible under RSX.

That really only indicates that you're running on a platform which can do Ethernet network I/O in a parallel thread.   Most platforms did not use the threaded model previously.   Previously, in 3.9, Polling was still necessary since the simulator didn't really support an asynchronous I/O model.   The latest codebase has support for asynchronous network AND disk I/O.   On the current codebase if you've got threads available, then network reads and writes are performed asynchronously and interrupts (I/O completion) is triggered with a few microseconds of latency.   As I recall from earlier in these threads, you're running under CentOS on VirtualBox. You didn't mention what host OS you're running on.     In any case, the threaded model might just work better in the virtual environment.

I have tested commit 753e4dc9 on Mac OS 10.6, no virtualization. Both simh instances run on the same hardware. XQ set to different MAC addresses, since this is now enforced.

Asynchronous network/disk IO may explain the uncommon transfer speed (I have filled a   RM03 in seconds).

--
Jean-Yves Bernier