[HECnet] Parallel computing using DECnet

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Fri May 30 11:41:57 PDT 2014

The DEC calling standards and the design of DECnet do not limit us to
using only one language.   Each system could use what ever is available
on that system (and what the user knows how to program in) and use
DECnet objects to pass information back and forth.   A simple protocol
(if you will) could be spec'd out and implemented for any of the
languages.   A common language could be used for the "glue".   MACRO-11
might be fun - it could easily manage the differences between BASIC and
FORTRAN (and others) calling sequences (ie R5).

-Steve