[HECnet] Same MAC address on different nodes

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun May 25 20:08:33 PDT 2014

On 05/25/2014 01:13 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Essentially, the MAC address in the actual ethernet controller (or the
MAC address set before boot in simh) is irrelevant. Once DECnet starts
running, that MAC address is not used anymore. It is just a trivia piece
of information so that you can know what the hardware MAC address from
the factory is. It is not used by anything, especially not anything
related to network communication.

  The only reason I might find the actual hard-coded MAC address to be
useful is in identifying machines.   A lot of Ethernet cabinet kits have
stickers on them with the MAC address printed on them.

  Of course nearly every one I've seen has been WRONG, but.. ;)