[HECnet] "Dropped by adjacent node" ....

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri May 30 08:58:56 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-30 04:27, Peter Lothberg wrote:
Would it be possible to change the metric on SG1 on TCP-0-2 to for example
10?
Actually, what hapen if we set all multinet UDP links to 20 and TCP links
to 10

    10 and 20 are way too high.   The problem is that the default cost for QNA
and UNA circuits is 3 (or 4 - I don't remember).   Everybody connected to
Johnny's bridge therefore sees a cost of 3 to everybody else on the bridge,
even though that connection actually requires a hop over to Sweden (psilo)
and back again.   Any two machines with Johnny's bridge would never use the
Multinet connection, even if it were a direct link between the two.

Cost don't impact performance. .. ....

I guess that the "problem" here is that most people have local
machines on the same segent that is bridged.

Having a "to low" metric makes it impoissible to prefer a better path
that have serveral hops, over the bridge.....

This sounds strange but.....

Reliable - PTP link 10
Unreliable PTP link 20
Ethernet bridged       30

Would most likely render the optimal performance.

Why?
The ethernet bridge would, in my eyes be preferred to two or three reliable PTP links. The ethernet link is very fast for most people (unless they themself are on an ISP with severe limitations, in which case any other link will suffer equally), and has, with one or two exceptions proved very reliable.