[HECnet] "Dropped by adjacent node" ....

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue May 27 16:09:50 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-27 07:07, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
In other words, the listen timeout for
Ethernet is 3 * hello time, for point to point it is 2 * hello time.
=20
  But can you clarify who is dropping who (i.e. which end is timing out)? =
    The message on LEGATO says "dropped by adjacent node" not "dropping adjac=
ent node", which makes it sound as if MIM is timing out, not LEGATO (and th=
en somehow telling LEGATO that, which is another mystery).
=20
  Or is this just a poorly worded message?

No, the message is very precise.

If you see a message on LEGATO which reports adjacency MIM down for that re=
ason, it means LEGATO received an Ethernet router hello message from MIM th=
at no longer lists LEGATO as one of the routers that MIM can see.

MIM will have a reason for not reporting LEGATO any longer.   It should have=
  logged a message stating that reason.
	paul

When we where chasing another problem, it was found that packets
"disapear" in the Ethernet fabric at Update, sometimes.

I think you are referring to when we played with transfers and the performance drops to the floor. That is lost packets because of interface speed differences. They are not really lost, but there only so much that can be queued up in the fabric between interfaces with different speeds.

Maybe Johnny can make a small map of the current topology with all
involved things and the lan-speeds?

That would actually be useful either way, but I'm not sure I can do it easily.