[DECtec] [HECnet] XXDP 2.5 on 11/23+

Wed May 28 20:05:13 PDT 2014

On May 28, 2014, at 2:54 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2014, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

On RSTS, to access a disk without using the RSTS file system (   non file structured mode   ) you don   t mount it, you just refer to the device name.   For example, in BASIC you   d use the device name in an OPEN statement, without a file name part:    open    db0:    as file 1%

$ copy moira::xxdp25.dsk du2:
                  Node: MOIRA
                  User: csmelosky
          Password:
System Password:

Event type 33.0, Remote file access
Occurred 14-May-27 14:52:59.2 on node 9.4 (MANDY)
Access: Remote
Function: OPEN/Read
Remote node = 9.1 (MOIRA)
Remote process = 17 0 0
Local process = 0 1 2 NFT002
User = csmelosky
File accessed = 0 MOIRA$DKA100:[CSMELOSKY]XXDP25.DSK;1

?NFT -- Device name syntax error

I take it copy takes different syntax? ;)

No     the problem is that you can   t do non-file operations there.   In RSTS, only some applications allow non-file operations; basically, they have to know how to issue open requests with no file name part supplied.   A lot of applications supply default file name pieces if you don   t supply your own; NFT/FAL (network copy) is one such, for that matter so is regular file copy.

You   d have to copy the input file to a file on the target system, then do the non-file structured copy as a separate step.   And the easiest way to do that second step is probably with a half dozen lines of BASIC code     I can   t think of an off the shelf program that will do the job.

	paul