[HECnet] VMS API for NML/NICE?

David R. Lennon dave at thelennons.net
Thu May 29 15:06:20 PDT 2014

Hi,
    That macro version that Brian posted doesn't seem to be working (no output) under OpenVMS 8.4 IA64 but this other version he posted does:

https://mail.encompasserve.org/anon/htnotes/note?f1=DEC_NETWORKING&f2=1247.11

The code he posted does have this comment:
; Read function options (RTFM. Sec 6.8 of DNA NML Network Mgt Spec #AA-X437A-TK)

which is a manual officially titled "DECnet Digital Network Architecture Phase IV Network Management Functional Specification", AA-X437A-TK and a scan is available online at:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/www.computer.museum.uq.edu.au/pdf/AA-X437A-TK%20DECnet%20Digital%20Network%20Architecture%20Phase%20IV%20Network%20Management%20Functional%20Specification.pdf

Regards,
Dave

Quoting "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system at tmesis.com>:

"Bob Armstrong" <bob at jfcl.com> writes:

Hey, thanks, Brian, for the example!   Where are these NML$ library
routines documented?   That's what I was looking for...

Source code?   It's been so long since I wrote that example that I really do
not recall where *that* info was found.   I typically document my code with
a RTFM reference.   Of course, the only thin in that didty I posted was the
DNA NML Network Management Specification.   There are only 3 entry points in
NMLSHR.EXE which you can see with an ANALYZE/IMAGE command.

Call NML$INITIALIZE; no parameters.

Call NML$PROCESS_NICE; NML request by descriptor, callback routine

Call NML$TERMINATE; no parameters.

The "Callback routine" is handed a descriptor.   The first byte of the data
in the descriptor is a status.   The status values, along with all of the
rest of the NMA constants, can be found in the library module "$NMADEF" in
the system called LIB.   SYS$LIBRARY:LIB.MLB for macro; LIB.REQ for Bliss;
SYS$LIB_C.TLB for C.

If you Google NML$PROCESS_NICE, you will find some other tidbits of info.
One that was found when I did this is by friend Nick De Smith.   It can be
found in the DECUS Library Compendium (DECUSlib.COM) which I too maintain.
NDS's example is written in C.   I'd suggest NOT following NDS's example
too closely.   Avoid the nameless constant values; include NMADEF from the
library and use its constant definitions.

Also, these calls will only work if you have DECnet phase IV installed on
your system.   DECnet Phase V interface is a whole 'nother ball o' wax.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG