[HECnet] Quick RT-11 question

Jerome H. Fine jhfinedp3k at compsys.to
Mon May 19 16:31:55 PDT 2014

>Cory Smelosky wrote:

Afternoon,

I have a quick RT-11 question hopefully someone can help with without me needing the skim the entire linker manual. ;)

Would ?LINK-F-Symbol table overflow be a result of monitor configuration constraints, memory constraints, or something else?   I've linked TSX+ in SIMH fine so I have no idea why it's failing on the real 11/23.   I think I had linked it under the ZM monitor in SIMH though...not XM.

Since you are obviously using either V05.06 or V05.07
(only the last two versions of RT-11 have the RT11ZM
Monitor), you can use the VRUN command to support
giving LINK all 64 KB of memory.   Naturally, you
will probably need at least 256 KB of total physical
memory on even a PDP-11/23 (to run RT11XM as well as
to provide the needed extended memory to provide
LINK with the full 64 KB to run in) although 128 KB
might do in a pinch depending on which device you use
for the system device.

NOTE that a PDP-11/23 does not have the IOPAGE   MMU
registers to support RT11ZM (which you probably already
know or have found out).

Let me know if the VRUN command works.   There are more
things to try if that does not work.

If you insist on using RT11FB and that does not work,
then try RT11SB which may take less memory.   If that
is insufficient, go back to an earlier version of RT-11
and try RT11SJ.

Otherwise, LINK has a few options to expand the Symbol
Table size.   If you don't have access to the LINK chapter,
let me know and I can look it up.

It sounds like you are trying to LINK   TSX-Plus which
does require a HUGE Symbol Table.   If possible, have
only the system device driver loaded if not using RT11XM
(which will allow you to use VRUN which will use extended
memory, so low memory will not matter).

Otherwise, if you have a TSX-Plus configuration already
available, switch to that to perform your LINK.

Jerome Fine