[HECnet] RSX-11 booted!

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon May 26 00:11:31 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-26 01:05, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2014, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Ho hum. Well, how much memory do you have, and what else have you
managed to start before this goes down?

256 Kwords. ;)

That is the minimum. I hope you generated an endnode system... :-)

There are possible solutions as well. But it might require that you
learn a little about VNP...

Well I'm staring at a (correct!) Manager's Guide, so I'm not opposed to
that.

Well, basically, since your system complains about GEN being too fragmented, you have just managed to start a few things before DECnet tries to start up, and there is not enough contiguous memory left around for DECnet to be happy.
VNP is the third component of DECnet management. NCP and CFE being the other two.
VNP is used to configure networking in the actual system image file, so that it is already installed and in order when you boot. That means no other stuff has yet started, and you have more clear memory to play with, so VNP can probably set you up the same way NETINS do at runtime.

So, you should go over what NETINS.CMD do, and do the same thing in VNP instead, with the exception that some things cannot be done in VNP. Those steps needs to be left in a modified NETINS.CMD...

But VNP only understands a subset of the NCP commands. For all the installation parts, you instead needs to use VMR.

Now, if you don't feel comfortable with playing around with this stuff, I should warn you that you can render your system unbootable when fooling around with this.